A Squared: In My Lunchbox This Week: Toasted Chicken & Apple Sandwiches

Monday, November 12, 2012

In My Lunchbox This Week: Toasted Chicken & Apple Sandwiches

So, I know that the photo I posted of this weekend's Healthy Fall Chicken Salad wasn't the prettiest, but really?  Is chicken salad ever pretty?  Regardless, the photo and brief mention of the toasted chicken and apple sandwiches garnered much more interest so I thought I'd share my "recipe" for that here.  Nothing too scientific about this recipe, but these sandwiches made for a nice hot lunch on a chilly Sunday while I played in the kitchen and Alex caught up on some football.

Enjoy!


Ingredients:

Makes 2 sandwiches

  • 4 thin slices of sourdough bread
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. whole grain mustard
  • 2 oz. 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced *I sliced the block of cheddar
  • 1/2 apple, thinly sliced *I used Honeycrisp, but any apple of your preference would work
  • 2/3 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded or thinly sliced
  • Extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.  Spread mustard evenly on inside surfaces of each slice of bread.  Using one slice from each sandwich, begin layering the rest of the ingredients-- a thin layer of cheese, followed by a layer of apple slices, then chicken, and top with remaining cheese.  Top with the other slice of bread (mustard side inside, of course) and spray the outside lightly with cooking spray.  Place each sandwich on the baking sheet and bake until the cheese begins to melt and the bread starts crisping, about 10 minutes.  Using tongs or a spatula, gently flip the sandwiches over and back for another 5 minutes.  Let them cool for a few minutes and then slice each sandwich in half and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...